Applications for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program are now open for the academic year 2022-2023.
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Each year, Gates Cambridge offers 80 fully-funded scholarships to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree (Master or PhD) in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
GATES CAMBRIDGE SCHOLARSHIP IN NUTSHELL
LEVEL: Master and PhD.
DEADLINE: 13 October 2021 for US, 02 December 2021 or 06 January 2022 to internationals.
NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS: 80 scholarships: 25 to US, 55 to internationals.
FINANCING: Fully Funded.
OPEN TO: All nationalities except UK citizens.
HOSTING UNIVERSITY: Cambridge University.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- And applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD, MSc, MLitt or One year postgraduate course.
Beside these aforementioned criteria, you must show :
- An academic excellence.
- An outstanding intellectual ability.
- Reasons for choice of course.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- And leadership potential.
WHAT THE SCHOLARSHIP COVERS
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
- The University Composition Fee
- A maintenance allowance for a single student: £17,848 for 12 months, for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years.
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course.
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge.
If you are interested in a PhD program, you need to discuss your research with a potential supervisor. To find and contact a supervisor, follow these steps:
- Using the Course Directory, choose a desired program.
- On your program’s page, under “Key Information”, click on “Course on Department Website”.
- Once you are on the program’s website, look for “CDT board”, “Contact”, “Academic Team” (or anything similar). Generally, you’ll find there an email address of a supervisor that you can contact.
If you are shortlisted for interview, you will have already gone through an incredibly competitive process. You will be invited for a 20-25 minute interview and, depending on where you are, you can interview either in person or by Skype.
If you have any inquiries about this program, you can contact the Gate Cambridge board on [email protected].