The JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship provides partial financial assistance to Indians who wish to pursue Postgraduate/Doctoral/Postdoctoral/Research studies abroad. Candidates who are selected for the loan scholarship may also be recommended for a partial ‘Travel Grant’ (a maximum of INR 50,000) and a ‘Gift Award’ from our allied Trusts as may at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. The gift award ranges between INR 2,00,000 and INR 7,50,000 and depends on the academic performance of the candidates in the course for which they are awarded the JN Tata Loan scholarship. The gift award will be considered only for those who submit the relevant academic performance proof such as a transcript and progress report.
The JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship programme has helped over 5419 candidates in pursuing higher education opportunities abroad.
Eligibility for JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
- Candidates should be Indians, not older than 45 years as on June 30, 2022, and graduates of a recognised Indian University with at least 60% marks on average in their undergraduate or post-graduate studies. If the undergraduate degree is not from a recognised University in India, candidates are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who did not get selected in the previous year/earlier for the loan scholarship and candidates who could not avail of the loan scholarship when they were selected are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are at the end of the 1st year and entering into the second year of their overseas studies (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration of the course is 2 years and there is at least one full academic year remaining to complete at the time of award of the loan scholarship, normally by July of any calendar year.
- J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship amount are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of their degree courses and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters at the time of making the application, from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2022-2023. However, they must update their applications status with the Endowment once they secured admission by sending an appropriate email to [email protected].
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences, training, workshops, paper presentation, undergraduate studies and any post-graduate degree/diploma/certificates through Distance learning or online medium are not eligible to apply.
- The course to which candidates are admitted must be recognized as a Graduate Program (post-graduate in Indian terminology).
Read Also: Tata Scholarship 2022 – Application Form, Last Date & Eligibility
Selection for the Awards
Please read carefully because the JN Tata Loan scholarship is highly competitive. It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar.
Staying true to our founder Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, we follow a rigorous selection process. Candidates may note the following points:
- Apart from consistent academic performance, we give importance to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our website on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism. Many students fill the SoP with too many biographical details which is not required.
The online test of JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
After the initial screening of applications, some candidates are shortlisted to undergo an online test, which will be based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), on Sunday, 17th April, 2022. This is not a subject-specific test. The TSA contains some numerical questions too but does not presume anything more than knowledge of arithmetic and does not involve difficult calculations.
The timing and other details will be informed accordingly through separate emails.
General Instruction for an online test :-
- Candidates are advised to ensure that they have uninterrupted internet connectivity at the place where they are taking the test. Internet speed requirement is minimum 1 mbps (Do not use Mobile hotspot).
- Please note that test will conducted only once; we will not able to consider any requests for changing the dates scheduled for the online test.
- Candidates who will fail to attend the scheduled online test will be considered to have withdrawn from the application process.
The results of the test will be announced within a week from the date of the test by email. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
Formalities to be completed
The candidate and the guarantor (preferably a parent or a relative) will have to visit the Administrative Office of the Endowment, by prior appointment, to complete the necessary formalities, after obtaining the visa. They will be required to enter into a legal agreement with the Trustees and provide documentary evidence of the capacity of the guarantor to repay the loan.
Candidates may repay the loan scholarship amount in full in five equal installments of 20% between the third and seventh years. Candidates may begin to repay earlier than year three if they chose to.
Benefits of JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
Loan scholarship up to INR 10 lakh documents
Only the Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendation. All scanned copies of the required documents must be submitted at the time of the interview. How can you apply?
Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ button below to start the application.
[ Apply Now ]
In case of any queries, please reach out to:
Phone: 022-6665 7774 / 7198 / 7681 (Monday to Friday – 10:00AM to 6PM)
e-mail: [email protected]
Read Also: 250 Scholarship at the University of Melbourne Academic Year 2022/23
Frequently Asked Questions
The scholarship is offered at a simple interest of 2% per annum. However, Trustees may waive the interest if candidates repaid the loan by the end of the seventh year. The repayment schedule is in five equal installments of 20% between 3rd and 7th year.
The selection process for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship involves a multi-stage process:
1. Initial screening of the applications,
2. Online test based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), and
3. Interview of the candidates selected in the online test.
The scholarship is offered at a simple interest of 2% per annum. However, Trustees may waive the interest if candidates repaid the loan by the end of seventh year. The repayment schedule is in five equal installments of 20% between the 3rd and 7th year.
The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All applicants do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The candidates are not reimbursed for their travel and accommodation for the scholarship interviews. Candidates also have an option to take the video conference interview via Skype/Microsoft Teams/Zoom.
The interviews are held between April and June.
The application registrations for J N Tata Endowment loan scholarship are closing on March 21, 2022. However, the last date for the final submission of applications is March 28, 2022.